Today, we’re wrapping up a long series of guest blogs by Cindy Martinusen Coloma on her “Puzzle Method” of writing a novel.
We’ve reached the last step in the puzzle method. It’s pretty much the same for any method of writing – the final polish.
Step 9: PUZZLE COMPLETION
* Set the book aside for 1 or 2 weeks if possible.
* Print & Read (aloud if possible) – reading it in hard copy will allow you to see more mistakes and
* Give another polish.
* You have a completed novel now. Now CELEBRATE your accomplishment – treat yourself to something great. You deserve it, and no one but you and other writers will understand the accomplishment fully (so don’t be disappointed, but DO treat yourself!).
* Now share the book ONLY with readers you trust to tell the truth: a critique group, professional reviewer, or take it to a writer’s conference. Read the editing books (Self-editing for Fiction Writers is one of many) and work hard.
* And remember you may be polishing and revising till the end of your life – just kidding, sort of.
And there it is! You have a novel!
I hope this helps those of you who have been struggling to fit into other methods.
I struggled for many years until finally I trusted what worked best, then I started analyzing it. Keep experimenting with your writing, always push yourself to something a little harder than you think you can do, and keep breathing life into words. Because really, every time you write a sentence, you’re gathering word puzzle pieces and creating something of wonder.
Thanks for this opportunity Randy. It’s been quite an honor and a wonderful experience!
Randy sez: Thanks, Cindy, for sharing your method with us all. Let me note a recent comment:
When this course is finished, I really want to go over it as a whole. I’ve been too busy on other stuff to focus on it all and only got bits and pieces, and I can see now what part of the process I can use now as I near the end of my novel. Your archives are supernaturally backed up, right Randy??
Unless there is another way to pull these together as a whole, I want to copy/paste these posts all together into a neat, formatted file, if that’s okay with Randy and Cindy. I won’t charge much for it (kidding!). And if it’s okay with you guys, I’d be glad to share it with anyone else who also wants it all in one file. Is that okay? Would homemade cinnamon rolls tempt you to say yes?
Randy sez: I’ll ask Cindy about that, since she owns the rights to the Puzzle Method.
By the way, check out a couple of domains that might be of interest to you all.
Wonder who owns www.SupremeDictatorForLife.com? Can you guess?
Also, look who grabbed www.SnowflakeMethod.com. Doesn’t that make you mad? 🙂